Here are several projects with more detail. The smaller pictures are light-boxed, clicking will open them up larger. These are my snap shot pictures rather than pro shot.
182 Walter Hays Drive, Palo Alto
- This project was phased due to limits created by maximum allowable work in the flood zone.
- Google street view picture here
- The plans below are an example of before and after. The goals of this project were to improve the Entry, open up the Kitchen, and add an office and Master Bedroom Suite.
Francemont - Los Altos Hills
This project is down a long driveway, so you won't be able to do a drive by. I have completed several projects on this house over the years, including adding on a garage with a roof deck, remodeling several areas internally including the Kitchen, and in the final phase, redoing the front entry and associated porch and outdoor entertaining area. These are some random pics. The exterior work including a new entry was just completed recently. Contractor on all phases was Glenn Denis.
102 Pope St, Menlo Park
This was a 1920's house that had over time both degraded structurally and aesthetically. The scope of work:
- Fix the structure. This required upgrading the sagging front porch and inserting several new second floor beams to fix the sagging floor.
- Replace all aluminum windows with new wood ones. Several of the original wood windows were restored. The new windows were selected based on profile option and for the type of exterior finish that looked painted rather than clad.
- There were several previous awkward add-ons that we removed except for the odd second floor one on the side.
- Gut the second floor and carefully added area that didn't change the character of the house.
- Added a new Family Room out the rear.
- Integrated the house and landscaping with new patios and decks.
- New garage to replace an existing one, keeping the style of the house.
- Contractor was Bauman Construction
Here are some existing pictures:
I don't have a current pictures, so here's the new, courtesy of Google
49 Parker Avenue, Atherton
I have worked on a couple projects for this client. The main project for this house consisted of:
- An exterior face lift. We replaced all of the exterior windows, carefully looking at trim and mull conditions and grid patterns. The Owners had a very specific goal of making a more significant entry. Given that we did not want to change any exterior wall lines, the options were limited. The front door was a large custom dutch door sized to fit the husband so that he could lean on the lower half and look out.
- A complete gut on the first floor, creating all new spaces - Entry, Living, Dining, Kitchen, Laundry, Master Bedroom.
- Inserted a new second floor Family Room above the Living Room, filling in an abnormally tall 2-story volume.
- Connected the house with the exterior landscaping, including wide folding doors to patio and decks. I also developed the outdoor fireplace and sitting area.
- Here are before and after exterior, plus a few of the interior. An interior designer was in charge of materials, but I defined all cabinetry, trimwork, details, etc. Contractor was Bill Campbell.
- Google street view - landscape grew up!
847 Starlite Lane, Los Altos
This project was mainly an interior remodel in the Kitchen/Dining, creating a Great Room in a previous awkward layout. Exterior work included cleanup and removal of ugly stone, and adding the new Kitchen window and dormer, creating a higher ceiling in the Kitchen. Landscape Architect was Kikuchi Associates and the Contractor was Bill Campbell.
421 Juanita Way, Los Altos
This project was a complete interior redo and Kitchen addition to the rear.
- On the outside, we mostly replaced windows and in the rear we developed up the connection to the outside, with new trellises, landscaping, outdoor fireplace and BBQ area.
- The existing garage was partially converted to a cabana/pool room.
- The Landscape Architect was Kikuchi Associates and the Contractor was Bill Campbell.
- The house has been sold and the new owners are having Bill and I convert an existing bedroom to a laundry room and make a larger Master Bath. I am also in the process of changing some cabinetry in the pool house, creating an AV center.
- Google street view
70 Tulip Lane, Palo Alto
- The existing house was a simple 2 bedroom with an unusually unusable floor plan with minimal access to the rear.
- We added a second floor, completely changed the first floor and exterior style.
- The Master Bathroom was published in "Dream Baths" and "Kitchen & Bath Ideas" magazines.
- The house was featured in Palo Alto's Charming Cottages tour, although it's not really a cottage, nor traditional.
- Contractor was Bauman Construction
- More pictures here